East Merced Resource Conservation District acts as an independent local liaison between federal government and local landowners. We work closely with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service ( NRCS — formerly the Soil Conservation Service). EMRCD develops projects involving other local conservation districts and conservation workgroups. We pursue funding to assist landowners with meeting conservation objectives and/or regulatory compliance.

EMRCD generates more than 90% of its budget from highly competitive grants. The other 10% is from community donors

Resource Conservation Districts (RCDs) are the states’ only grassroots conservation delivery system that identifies local conservation problems and guides solutions on a voluntary basis. RCDs addresses a wide variety of conservation issues such as water and air quality, wildlife habitat restoration, soil erosion control, conservation education,  the preservation and awareness of nature and natural resources. In California, RCDs are “special districts” organized under the state Public Resources Code, Division 9. Each district has a locally elected or appointed volunteer board of directors made up of landowners or their designee in that district.

There are 103 Resource Conservation Districts in the state of California, most of which are funded largely through grants. The Department of Conservation and the NRCS provide trDSC05531aining and in-kind support as well as a watershed grant program for RCDs.
The lower Merced River and its adjacent floodplains have been heavily altered through channel narrowing, diking, placement of revetments (rip rap), removal of riparian vegetation and gravel mining. The lower Merced is almost entirely privately owned and its predominant land use is agricultural.

Issues of concern in the watershed include: urbanization, water quality, habitat degradation, invasive species, and pesticide, herbicide and fertilizer run-off.


To learn more about Resource conservation you can watch this video “A State of Harmony” witch depicts the shared land ethic behind the important protection and stewardship work being done by RCDs and Land Trusts in California. You can also contact us to learn more about EMRCD for more information.